Monday, June 20, 2011

Build a better breakfast...the Egg McDuffin.


To avoid any copyright infringement (as though they're really worried about it), I've dubbed my own version of a certain restaurant's breakfast sandwich the "Egg McDuffin." Because my last name is McDonald. And this is an egg on an English muffin. Get it?

I make this sandwich all the time, sometimes 3 times a week (now that I know eggs are not as bad for you as once thought) - super filling, and almost foolproof. A great breakfast for one, and easy to eat on the way to work in a paper towel if you have to (I know from experience). You can mix and match what you like, but keep it simple and you're automatically in for a tasty and MUCH healthier breakfast. It's so simple that I almost feel like I'm cheating by posting a recipe for it, but maybe you can use it as a jumping point. It's one of my favorites, along with the Oatmeal Breakfast Pancake.

You already know how I feel about breakfast - it's become my favorite meal of the day, and I can't go without it. Start your day off right!

Egg McDuffin

1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese, or any kind shredded cheese
2 cloves minced garlic
Sprinkle of Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
Small handful of: 
chopped onion
chopped bell pepper
chopped fresh spinach
chopped fresh tomato
Whole-grain English muffin (I love the Thomas brand)
1 slice bacon (I use lean turkey bacon)

Heat a small nonstick skillet prepared with cooking spray over medium heat. Mix vegetables, spices, and eggs together and pour into pan. Cook on each side 2-3 minutes to desired doneness. While the omelette is cooking, toast the English muffin and cook your slice of bacon in the microwave. Using a large cup, cut out two circles from the omelette. Eat scraps straight from the pan to keep things nice and tidy. 

 Place two circles on each side of toasted muffin, break bacon in half and place on top of one side, then sandwich them together. Enjoy with a side of fruit!

This way you're getting a full serving (maybe even 2) of veggies into your breakfast, which is pretty hard to do if you don't want a side of carrots with your oatmeal and you're not in the mood to bake a broccoli frittata. Not my cup of tea first thing in the morning. To save time, a few nights a week, I chop up some veggies and keep them on hand to whip this up in the morning. It's worth the effort!


No comments:

Post a Comment