Sunday, May 8, 2011

Oatmeal Breakfast Pancake

This is one of my favorite new breakfasts. I changed it up a bit from another blog recipe to make it more appetizing to me - and I had the best idea in the freaking world. Seriously, I was so impressed with myself. This is how deliciousness is born. Microwaving a bit of peanut butter with maple syrup - every time I make this now I have to lick the little bowl to make sure none of the mixture is wasted. Try it - on anything. Also added a teensy bit of brown sugar. Which never hurt anyone.

One thing to be aware of: don't expect this "pancake" to be like an actual pancake. It is very dense because of the oats. I suppose you could pulse the oats in a food processor beforehand, but then it defeats the purpose of calling it an "easy" breakfast, which I would say it is. I mix all the ingredients up the night before, stick it in the fridge, then it's ready to go when I cook it the next morning. Top it with my magic concoction and whatever fruit you like, pair it with a glass of milk, and you are GOOD TO GO! The breakfast of champions, I'm telling you...so filling.


Oatmeal Breakfast Pancake 
modified from Inspired RD

1/4 cup Egg Beaters, or 1 large egg
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp unpacked light brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp peanut butter or almond butter
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup

Heat a small non-stick griddle over medium high heat. Beat the egg, oats, vanilla, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour into pan, spread out into a pancake shape and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe ramekin, nuke the peanut butter and syrup together (about 20 seconds), mix well and spread over top of pancake. Enjoy!


Look at that wonderful gooey peanutty-syrup topping. The nectar of the gods, if there ever was one...


Also, do you like that we are still using Christmas plates? We try to run our dishwasher only once a week, so give us a break, ok? It's for the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment