Thursday, June 16, 2011

Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers

Yesterday was a long day - work, cycling class, temple, then grocery store. Picked up some ground turkey on sale, hence the spur-of-the-moment decision to make me some burgers out of it.

I have never in my life made my own hamburgers. They aren't something I eat often, since usually I prefer Garden or Boca burgers and rarely eat fast food. And it didn't particularly appeal to me to go to the effort. But I've been converted. Especially because when I make my own, I know they are fresh and I know exactly what is in them - these were also super low calorie!

I've seen several versions of these turkey burgers around, but this is just my own concoction. They were really easy to put together and extremely delicious. I made a whole batch and put some in the freezer. I really love putting cheese in the burger itself - makes it very flavorful!


Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers

16 oz lean ground turkey
1/2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese (I use Athenos)
1 cup chopped fresh spinach, or a few ounces frozen spinach
1 large egg, or 1/4 cup egg substitute
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl. Using your hands (put on latex gloves if handling raw meat grosses you out), knead turkey and other ingredients together until well combined, but don't overmix. Shape mixture into patties and place on a baking sheet.

Heat a skillet (or grill pan, or George Foreman, or any grilling machine of your choice) prepared with cooking spray. On medium heat, cook 3-4 patties at a time, about 6-8 minutes on each side. Place on paper towel to blot excess grease. Serve as desired, and freeze extras to heat up later!

*I got 7 patties out of this recipe, but some people might like larger burgers, so it probably can serve 4-6. 


 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love putting cheese in burgers! I had never really been into making my own burgers until recently. I buy organic grass fed beef or bison and use feta or gorgonzola. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. made it and loved it!! jeff didnt even realize i used turkey!!! haha!!

    ReplyDelete