Monday, September 19, 2011

Low-carb Veggie and Beef Lasagna

So there are those of you out there who may think I'm crazy, since it's obvious from what I post that I LOVE carbs. But the past two weeks I've been on a low-carb kick, eliminating refined sugars and starches from my diet and focusing on lean protein and vegetable-based meals. I still get a reasonable amount of carbs from fruit and a bit of dairy each day, but overall I cut out pasta, breads, rice, and all treats. My go-to dessert was sugar-free Jello. The verdict? I feel great, and lost a few of those pesky pounds lingering from the cruise. I was rarely hungry and actually didn't crave junk food. Unless, of course, I got onto Pinterest and looked at all the desserts I want to make with the onslaught of pumpkin season. 

But back to low-carb. It was fun because it forced me to get creative again with my meal planning. This is just like most other lasagnas you might make, I just subbed the pasta with a layer of spinach and zucchini. With the richness of the ricotta and ground beef, I didn't even miss the pasta!


Low-carb Veggie Lasagna

1 tsp olive oil
1/4 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
6 oz lean ground beef
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried parsley
Salt and pepper
1 cup fresh spinach
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 roma tomato, sliced
1/2 cup pasta sauce of choice
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook onions for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute before adding the ground beef. Cook until the pink is gone (drain the beef if desired to reduce fat content). Season with basil, oregano, parsley (or Italian seasoning), and salt and pepper to taste.

In a small baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, layer a spoonful of pasta sauce (just enough to lightly coat). Spread zucchini slices evenly on bottom, then layer the ground beef mixture, spinach, ricotta, and more pasta sauce. Top with sliced tomatoes and shredded cheese.

Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Enjoy!

Serves 2 generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment