Monday, September 12, 2011

Build a better salad...fruit with healthy greens


This is super simple, but I've found lately that I really love adding fruit to my salads. And I used to HATE fruit in salads before. Luckily I saw the light when I first had my sister's strawberry spinach salad. 

Last week I threw together a very easy salad which filled me right up, and hit the spot for a sweet and savory lunch!

2 cups fresh spinach/spring salad mix
2 Tbsp reduced-fat feta cheese
1/2 thinly-sliced apple of choice (I love Fuji the best)
1/4 cup halved grapes
4 oz cooked chicken breast (I seasoned mine with a lemon pepper rub and sauteed it in a bit of olive oil)
Dressing of choice

Toss ingredients together. Enjoy!

Serves 1.

The wonderful thing about salads like this is that there are endless combinations, and they will fill you up pretty easily while getting a lot of nutrients. Many times I'll use different kinds of berries, and I almost always use feta because it adds a lot of flavor and goes well with fruit. Make sure you have a protein component, but keep dressing to a minimum and you've got a wonderful, quick, and healthy lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment