Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pumpkin Cinnamon-Chip Cookies

 
Pumpkin Cinnamon-Chip Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 whole egg
½ cup sugar
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup canned pumpkin
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup cinnamon chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and butter (or spray with Pam) the paper.

Stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together in a medium bowl and set aside.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar until smooth and lightened in color, about 1 minute.  Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing.  On low speed, mix the oil, pumpkin, and vanilla until blended.  Mix in the flour mixture to incorporate it.  Mix in the chips.

Using an ice cream scoop or a 1/4-cup measuring cup, scoop mounds of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 2 1/2-inches apart. Use a thin spatula to smooth and flatten the rounds.

Bake the cookies until the tops feel firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, about 15 minutes.  Cool them on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then use a wide thin spatula to transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

Dust the cooled cookies lightly with powdered sugar.  The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days. Makes about 12 large cookies.



I'm just going to throw this out there: I think these may be the best cookies I have ever made and/or tasted. The cinnamon chips seriously put it over the edge. Our apartment smelled so incredible Cassie and I were both on our knees the last few minutes of baking time, just looking through the oven door and inhaling the delicious aroma.

I haven't been able to find cinnamon chips here in Salt Lake, although I'd imagine they are probably available somewhere in the valley that I haven't looked yet. You can order them online, but they're pretty expensive. Tori, my delightful and genius best friend at Stanford, kindly brought me a package she found in Palo Alto - bless her, my fellow cinnamon-loving friend.


Pumpkin and cinnamon. I can't talk enough about the magic that is contained within these cookies. It's like the best of homeyness, comfort, holiday novelty, warmth, and love wrapped up into one perfect treat.

I'm not exaggerating. 

I know - it just occurred to me that I might be missing something more significant in my life if I can talk about cookies like this. 

1 comment:

  1. You can find cinnamon chips here...I bought them once, just can't remember where I found them. Target, maybe?

    ReplyDelete