Thursday, April 14, 2011

Creamy Barley Salad with Apples


Creamy Barley Salad With Apples
Serves 2

1/4 cup pearl barley
3/4 cup water
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 small apple, thinly sliced
2 cups fresh spinach

In a medium saucepan, combine the barley, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the barley is tender and the water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and spread on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, lemon juice, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few dashes pepper to taste. Add the celery, apple, and cooled barley and toss to combine. Top spinach with mixture and enjoy!

I'm actually not a huge salad eater...I will usually order anything but a salad at a restaurant, and I rarely make them at home - although I will add spinach to almost anything. 

However, since I had some greek yogurt and celery to use up, I was looking through some random recipes for ideas, then threw together my own concoction that turned out to be a success.

I wish I had made this last month, when I was doing my 30 Healthiest Foods challenge, because this recipe has 4 of the foods on the list: nonfat greek yogurt, barley, extra-virgin olive oil, and spinach. It's disgustingly good for you and still delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment