Wednesday, March 21, 2012

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad

Do you ever make a recipe, try it, and want to yell out loud, "I AM SUCH A GOOD COOK!" Sometimes I do. Really, I think my talent is in picking other people's recipes that have everything I love. This one was a major hit with me. Pretty simple, high-protein, and full of yummy/healthy stuff.



BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad
serves 4

1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup cooked corn
1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
6 oz cooked, shredded chicken
1/4 cup plus 2-4 Tbsp of your favorite BBQ sauce, divided
1 small avocado, chopped (about 4 oz)
2-4 Tbsp shredded Mexican-style cheese
2 scallions, chopped
Cilantro for garnish

Cook quinoa according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine shredded chicken with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and set aside to marinate for a few minutes.*

When quinoa is done, put in a large bowl and toss with the corn, black beans, chicken, and avocado. Top with a few tablespoons of barbecue sauce, cheese, and scallions. Serve garnished with cilantro if desired.

*The creator of the recipe suggests actually cooking the chicken in your crockpot with the barbecue sauce and some chopped yellow onion, but I like to make large batches of shredded chicken for a bunch of different recipes, so I added the sauce after.


No comments:

Post a Comment